Share this episode!Tweet
A lemon shortbread-like cookie filled with a thick and delicious lemon filling. Perfect any time of year!
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 T. lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 T. butter
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- ½ cup powdered sugar + extra for dusting cookies
- 1 t. lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ t. salt
1. Whisk the water, sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan. Set aside.
2. Get the rest of the ingredients ready to go, but set them aside.
3. Take the saucepan with the water, sugar, and cornstarch mixture over to the stove and place on medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking frequently as it thickens.
4. When mixture starts to boil and begins to turn translucent, whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, the zest and lemon juice, and then the butter.
5. Bring the mixture to a brisk simmer, whisking constantly until thick. Remove from heat and immediately pour the filling through a strainer into a bowl. Use a spatula to press through the strainer. Let the filling sit on the counter until lukewarm, about 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate until chilled through.
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
1. In bowl, cream together the butter, powdered sugar, and lemon zest. Beat for 1 minute.
2. Add flour and salt and mix just until combined.
3. Use a scoop to make 1-½ t. balls of dough. Roll them in your hands and then place on the baking sheet. Use your fingers to lightly flatten.
4. Bake for 9 minutes. Slide parchment off the cookie sheet and let the cookies cool on a wire rack.
5. When you are ready to fill the cookies, place a bit of lemon filling on the flat side of a cookie, then top with another cookie (making a sandwich). When all the cookies are filled, lay them out on a piece of parchment and use a fine strainer to sift some powdered sugar on the tops.
Note: These cookies will need to be refrigerated because of the lemon filling. You do have a few options:
1. You can fill all the cookies, cover them with plastic and keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
2. You can also freeze the cookies unfilled and keep the lemon filling in the refrigerator (it will last 1-2 weeks ). When you want to serve the cookies, just fill and dust with powdered sugar. Once filled, the cookies will defrost in a matter of minutes.
Download pdf recipe of: Lemon Snowdrops