Perfect for the holidays, these bite-sized whoopie pies have a delicious blend of gingerbread and orange. Whoopie!
- 3-3/4 cups flour
- 2 t. ginger
- 2 t. cinnamon
- 1 t. ground cloves
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (Click here to watch Cindy make buttermilk)
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 3/4 cup marshmallow fluff
- 1/2 t. vanilla
- Zest of an orange
- 1-1/4 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
1. In bowl, whisk together the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In mixing bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. With mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture, then the molasses. Add the rest of the flour and then the buttermilk. Mix just until everything comes together.
4. Using small ice cream scoop or a tablespoon, drop dough on the baking sheet. (You should fit 8-10 scoops of dough on a sheet.) Bake for 10 minutes. Slide cookies, still on parchment, to cooling racks. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. For the filling: In a mixing bowl, cream butter and cream cheese. Add marshmallow fluff, vanilla and orange zest. Beat until well blended. Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Scrape down bowl and mix until all of the powdered sugar disappears.
6. When cookies are completely cooled, spread 1-2 t. of filling in the center flat-side of one whoopie pie. Place the flat side of a second pie on top of the filling and press cookies together lightly, to bring filling to edges. Repeat with remaining cookies and filling.
Note: Because of the cream cheese in the filling, these cookies need to be refrigerated. When ready to serve, bring them out and leave at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. You can freeze them overnight on a rimmed baking sheet, then place them in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. They take about 15-20 minutes to defrost.
Download pdf recipe for: Gingerbread Whoopie Pies