Flakey and made with a cream cheese dough, this fruit and nut cookie is yummy!
- 8 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 cups ﬂour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar + sugar for sprinkling on top
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, ﬁnely chopped
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Cream cream cheese and butter in mixer until smooth.
2. Add sugar, salt and vanilla. Slowly add the ﬂour and mix until just combined.
3. Lightly ﬂour two pieces of plastic wrap. Divide the dough in half and place on plastic. Wrap plastic around dough, ﬂatten into a disc and place in refrigerator.
4. In another bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, cherries and walnuts.
5. Take 1 disc of dough out of refrigerator. Pat out into a 9-inch circle. Spread the dough with half the apricot jam and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cherry and nut ﬁlling. Press the ﬁlling lightly into the dough. Cut the circle into 12 equal wedges—cutting the whole circle in quarters, then each quarter into thirds. Starting with the wide edge, roll up each wedge. Place the cookies, points tucked under, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle tops with a bit of sugar.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
7. Repeat with second disc of dough.
Makes 2 dozen cookies.