Not too sweet and loaded the apple flavor, these bar cookies are practically healthy!
- Recipe -
● 1 cup ﬂour
● 1 cup quick-cooking oats
● 2/3 cup brown sugar
● 1/4 t. baking soda
● 1/2 cup butter
● 2 lbs. apples, cut into chunks
● 1/4 cup sugar
● 1/4 cup water
● 2 T. butter
● 1/2 t. cinnamon
● 1 lemon, zested
To make Filling:
1. Take apples, sugar & water and place into large saucepan. Place lid on pan and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Turn heat down to medium and cook 18 minutes more, until apples start breaking up. (Stir apples occasionally.)
2. Remove from heat and break up apples with wooden spoon or potato masher. Stir in butter, cinnamon & lemon zest. Spoon applesauce into bowl and let cool.
To make Bar Cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 350˚F. Spray an 8x8" or 9x9" pan with baking spray; make a sleeve with parchment paper and spray again. Set aside.
2. Mix together the ﬂour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until you get coarse crumbs. Then use your hands to press the butter and ﬂour mixture together, making large crumbs. Measure out 3/4 cup of this mixture and set aside.
3. Press the rest of the crumbs into the bottom of the pan. Spoon on 1-1/2 cups of the apple filling and sprinkle the rest of the crumbs on top.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Run a knife on sides without parchment, then using parchment sleeve, lift bar cookies out of pan; let cool on rack. Cut into squares.
Download pdf recipe for: Apple Oatmeal Bars