Full of delicious McIntosh apples, this pie has a shortbread crust and a streusel topping.
- Recipe -
● 2 c. flour
● 1/4 c. sugar
● 3/4 c. butter, diced
● 1/4 c. water
● 6 apples (McIntosh), cored & quartered
● 1/2 cup sugar
● 2 T. flour
● 1 T. lemon juice
● 1-1/2 t. cinnamon
● 1/8 t. nutmeg
● 1/2 cup brown sugar
● 1/2 cup flour
● 4 T. butter
1. In food processor bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Place diced butter on top of the flour. Pulse 8 times, until butter is pea-sized throughout the flour.
2. While the machine is running, add the cold water through the feed tube. Let the dough process until it begins to make large pieces of dough. Don't process until it completely holds it's shape.
3. Transfer the dough to a large piece of plastic wrap. Use hands to bring the dough together a bit, then use the plastic wrap to help bring it into a disk. Wrap the dough up in the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
1.In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour and butter. Use hands to squeeze the butter into the mixture, creating large streusel crumbs. Set aside.
1. Grate apples in food processor. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and add sugar, flour, lemon juice & spices. Mix well.
To Assemble Pie:
1. Remove the pie crust from the refrigerator. Place it (along with another piece of plastic wrap) on to a 12" cardboard circle. Cover the dough with 2 more pieces of plastic wrap. Use a rolling pin and roll the dough out to the edges of the cardboard round. Remove the top layer of plastic and place your hand under the crust. Turn it over into a 9" pie dish. Remove the rest of the plastic and gently ease the crust into the pie dish. Turn the ends under, making sure they lay on top of the rim of the dish. Using your fingers, pinch the edges of the dough together to create an edge. (Note: if you're not going to be filling the crust right away, place it in the refrigerator to stay chilled.)
2. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place apples in pastry lined pan. Top with the streusel. Place pie on foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet and bake at 400˚F for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375˚F and bake for another 25 minutes. Remove pie from baking sheet and let cool on a rack.
Download pdf recipe for: Grated Apple Pie