This is one of my favorites! If you're a caramel lover, definitely try this with the White Hot Chocolate. Incredibly delicious!
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1/2 t. fleur de sel, sea or kosher salt
Per serving of Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate:
- 3 T. White Chocolate Ganache or 2 T. Regular Chocolate Ganache
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 T. Salted Caramel Sauce
- whipped cream
For Salted Caramel Sauce:
1. Over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the brown sugar and whisk for 2 minutes. Keep stirring until the mixture comes to a rolling boil.
2. Slowly add the heavy cream and whisk constantly. Bring to a boil again, still stirring. Then add the vanilla and salt. Stir well, then remove from the heat. Taste to see if it is salty enough for you. If not, add a bit more. Let caramel sauce cool at room temperature, then place in container and refrigerate until ready to use. (Note: To soften the caramel, place in microwave on 1/2 power until just spoonable.)
3. When ready to serve, drizzle 2 T. of caramel into a cup and turn so that the inside is coated. Add the ganache and milk. Heat in microwave for 1-2 minutes, until chocolate is melted and milk is warm. (You can also heat the milk in a saucepan and pour into cups.)
4. Stir, then top with whipped cream and drizzle on an additional 1T. caramel.
Recipes for Ganache
- 2 cups chocolate chips (bittersweet or semi-sweet)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
White Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups white chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-1/2 T. butter, cut into cubes
1. Place chocolates in a bowl. For Regular Chocolate, also add salt. Set aside.
2. Heat heavy cream on medium high until it comes to a boil. Immediately pour cream over chocolate, (for White Chocolate add butter, too) and stir until completely mixed and smooth. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate until ready to use. (Note: To soften the ganache, place in microwave on 1/2 power until just spoonable.)
Download pdf recipe for: Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate