No, you're not dreaming. It's really pie in a jar! And not just any pie, but a delicious cherry pie. This one could seriously change your life.
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 14 oz. can tart cherries, with juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 1/8 t. almond extract
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
For Pie Assembly:
- 4 half pint wide mouth canning jars
- 4 lids
- 4 rings
- sugar to sprinkle on tops
1. Cream sugar and butter together in mixer. Add salt, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
2. Add the flour and on a low speed, mix until a ball begins to form.
3. Turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap and shape into a disk. Refrigerate for 1 hour. (If chilling overnight, make sure to let the pastry sit out on the counter for 15 minutes or so, before lining jars.)
1. Place cherries (and juice) into a small saucepan. Stir in the sugar and cornstarch.
2. Bring to boil over medium high heat, continuously stirring. (The sauce will be thickened after about 8 minutes.) Turn off heat and add almond extract and food coloring. Stir well.
3. Place hot filling into a medium size bowl to let cool.
1. Preheat oven to 375˚F. Place the jars on a parchment lined baking sheet.
2. Break off pieces of pastry, flatten into small disks and press into the jars, starting at the bottom and moving up the sides. Use flour on your hands, as needed. Check to make sure the pastry is not too thick and that it doesn't cover the top edge of the jar.
3. Fill each jar with 1/4th of the cherry pie filling (about 1/3-1/2 cup). Be sure the filling is 1" below the top of the jar.
4. Roll the remaining pastry out onto a floured board to about a 1/8-1/4" thickness. Use the lid of a jar to cut the tops of the pies. Then cut some kind of shape in the center of the pastry (I use a small cookie cutter).
5. Place the top pastry on top of the filling, pressing it inside the jar. (Again, no pastry along the top edge.) Use a fork to crimp the edges inside the jar. Lay the cut-out pastry shape next to the vent hole, if desired. Sprinkle tops with sugar.
6. If you are going to bake straight away, place the pies in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from baking sheet to let cool to room temperature.
7. If you are planning to freeze any of the pies, place the lid and rim on the top and put right into the freezer. When you are ready to bake them off, place the jar on a parchment lined baking sheet and place in a COLD oven. Close the oven door and then turn the oven on to 375˚F. Bake for 50 minutes.
Download pdf recipe for Cherry Pie in a Jar