This could possibly be the best Fall treat ever!
- 4 apples (I use Fuji)
- 14 oz. caramels
- 2 T. water
- 3/4 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 t. solid vegetable shortening (Crisco)
Line a tray or small baking sheet with parchment. Spray with baking spray. Set aside.
1. Wash and dry apples. Insert sticks halfway into the apples, from the stem end. Place on tray.
2. In microwave safe bowl, place caramels and water. Microwave on 30 second bursts until the caramels begin to melt. Stir well until the caramels are completely melted and mixed in with the water.
3. Roll the apples, one at a time, in the bowl of melted caramel. Continue holding the apple in the air, moving it around to help distribute the caramel. Once the caramel stops moving, dip the bottom of the apple into the chopped nuts and place on tray. Continue with the rest of the apples. Spoon any leftover caramel on the tops of the apples, around the stick.
4. Place the tray of caramel covered apples in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
5. When the caramel on the apples has cooled and set, it's time to melt the chocolate. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Add the shortening and microwave on 30 second bursts, stirring in between each cooking period. Once the chocolate begins to melt, continue to stir, letting the heat of the bowl melt the rest of the chocolate. Once the chocolate is smooth, it's time to drizzle it on the apples.
6. Use a large spoon, drizzle the chocolate around the tops of the apples. Continue to drizzle chocolate on the sides of the apples, using just a 1/2 spoonful of chocolate.
7. Use the rest of the chopped nuts and sprinkle on the tops and sides of the apples.
8. Place the apples in the refrigerator for 1 hour to set up.
Note: You can give these as gifts by placing a caramel apple on a small square of parchment (that's been sprayed with baking spray) and placed in the center of a large piece of plastic wrap. Bring the plastic up around the stick and tie with raffia or ribbon.
These apples need to stay in the refrigerator to stay fresh.
Download pdf recipe for: Ultimate Caramel Apples