Delicious apple filling wrapped in a scrumptious crust….I'd like one of those in my hand right now!
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups flour
- 2 T. butter
- 3 cups finely chopped apple
- 1/2 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 T. water
1. Cream sugar & butter. Add salt, egg, vanilla and almond extract.
2. Mix in flour and beat until just combined.
3. Turn dough out onto floured board. Use your hands to bring the dough together into a smooth disk. Wrap up the disc in the plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour. (You can also freeze the dough at this point. Just place the wrapped disc into a resealable freezer bag.)
1. Melt butter in saute pan over medium-high heat. Once the butter is foaming, add the chopped apple and saute for 3 minutes.
2. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Turn the heat down to medium and continue cooking for 2 more minutes. Remove apples from pan into a bowl and let cool for 30 minutes. THen place in refrigerator to cool down completely.
Assemble Hand Pies:
Line a baking sheet with parchment
1. Take the pastry out of the refrigerator and let sit on the counter for 10-15 minutes. Place dough on floured board. Sprinkle a little flour on the dough, then lay plastic wrap on top. Use a rolling pin to roll dough out to about 1/8 of an inch thick. Peel the plastic off the pastry.
2. Find a bowl that has a 4-1/2 inch diameter and cut at as many circles as you can, placing them on the baking sheet. Gather the pastry pieces together and roll out again, continuing to cut circles.
3. Place 1T. of cool filling in the center of each circle. Use your index finger to paint water along the edge of each circle, then fold the circle in half. Use a fork to crimp the edges of each pie.
4. When you have one sheet full of hand pies, place them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 350˚F. In a small bowl make egg wash by mixing egg yolk and water together. Brush the tops of each hand pie with egg wash, then sprinkle with sugar. Use a sharp knife to make a small slit in the top of each pie.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until browned.
Download pdf recipe for Apple Hand Pies