This classic southern dessert is like a custard pie, but creamier. And the flavor is amazing!
- 1- 1/2 cups flour
- 2 t. sugar
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 T. milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 T. flour
- 1/4 t. salt
- 3 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
To make crust:
1. Whisk flour, sugar and salt together in bowl.
2. Add oil and milk and stir gently until dough forms a ball. Make sure not to over mix.
3. Pat dough into pie pan. Crimp edges. Place in refrigerator while making filling.
To make filling:
1. Cream the butter and sugar together, for about 2 minutes.
2. With the mixer on a slow speed, add the flour, salt , eggs (one at a time) and vanilla. Slowly pour in the buttermilk. Mix until filling is smooth.
3. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Place pie shell on rimmed baking sheet. Pour filling into a pie shell, smoothing the top with your spatula. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350˚F. and bake for an additional 40 minutes. The pie should turn a nice golden brown on top. Place the pie on a cooling rack and and a non-serrated knife inserted in the center should come out clean. Cool to room temperature and then serve. Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator.
Note: To make your own buttermilk, place 1 T. lemon juice or vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill with enough milk to fill the 1 cup.
Download pdf recipe for: Buttermilk Pie