Whether you call it a jelly roll, a swiss roll, a roll cake or a roulade, it's still a thin sponge cake filled with jam. Delicious for dessert or tea and surprisingly simple to make!
- Recipe -
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 c. milk
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 cup sifted cake flour (or 1/3 corn starch + 2/3 flour)
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 cup (or a bit more if needed) jam
- Powdered sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 400 ̊F. Spray a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan with baking spray, then line with parchment or wax paper. Spray once again with baking spray.
1. Whisk together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a mixer for 5 minutes. Mix in the vanilla and milk.
3. While the mixer is on low, gradually add the flour mixture. Once the flour begins to mix in, increase the speed to medium, until the flour is completely mixed in. With a rubber spatula, give a final mix and pour into the prepared pan. Use the spatula to spread the batter to all the corners and sides of the pan.
4. Bake for 8 minutes until the center springs back when pressed lightly and the edges begin to turn a light golden brown.
5. Generously dust a clean dish towel with powdered sugar. When you take the cake out of the oven, immediately run a knife along the edges of the cake and turn out onto the towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper and trim crispy edges with non-serrated knife. Flip the sugared towel over one of the short ends of the cake and begin gently rolling the cake up. Place the roll on a wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes.
6. Place the jam in a small bowl and with a spoon, stir the jam to loosen it up. Unroll the cake, and spread an even coating of jam over the top. Slowly roll the cake back up, gently pulling the towel away from the cake. Place on a cake plate. When you're ready to serve, dust the top with powdered sugar and slice with a serrated knife.
Download pdf recipe for: Jelly Roll Cake