Real pecans sauteed in butter makes this ice cream a taste sensation!
- Recipe -
● 2 cups 2% milk
● 5 egg yolks
● 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
● 2 t. vanilla
● 4 T. butter
● 1 cup pecan halves
● 1/4 tsp. salt
1. Put milk in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. (This takes about 12-13 minutes.)
2. While the milk is heating, whip yolks & sugar in mixer for 2 minutes. When milk comes up to a boil, dribble it into the eggs, a tablespoon or so at a time. Keep the mixer going constantly.
3. Once the milk is in the eggs, turn heat down to low and pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly so eggs don't begin to scramble. Use an instant read thermometer and bring the mixture to about 170˚F.
4. Remove from heat and pour through a strainer. Allow to cool to luke warm (about 30 minutes) then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2-3 hours.
5. Right before your ready to freeze the ice cream, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the pecans and salt and saute, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes. Drain the butter into a small bowl and place the pecans in another small bowl. Place the pecans in the freezer to chill down.
6. When you're ready to freeze the ice cream, stir in the vanilla and melted butter. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's directions. After the ice cream stiffens, about 15 minutes, add the pecans, then continue freezing for another 5 minutes, or so. Remove ice cream from bowl and place in freezer container to harden-off.
Download pdf recipe for: Butter Pecan Ice Cream