If you like chocolate and coffee, you're going to love this ice cream. It's the best of all worlds!
- Recipe -
● 2 cups 2% milk
● 5 egg yolks
● 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
● 1/4 cup heavy cream
● 2 t. vanilla
● 1/2 cup brewed espresso, chilled (or use espresso powder dissolved in 1/2 cup cold water)
● 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Put milk in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. (This takes about 12-13 minutes.)
2. While the milk is heating, whip yolks & sugar in mixer for 2 minutes. Dribble hot milk into eggs, a few tablespoons at a time, keeping the mixer going constantly.
3. Once milk is in the eggs, turn heat down to medium-low and pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook for about 12 minutes, stirring constantly, so eggs don't begin to scramble. Use an instant read thermometer and cook until mixture reaches 170˚F.
4. Remove from heat and pour through a strainer. Allow to cool to luke warm (about 30 minutes) then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2-3 hours.
5. When you're ready to freeze the ice cream, stir heavy cream, vanilla and espresso into custard and freeze in an ice cream maker. (This takes about 20 minutes.) Towards the end, add chocolate chips. Remove ice cream from bowl and place in freezer container to harden-off.
Download pdf recipe for: Espresso Chip Ice Cream