This ice cream tastes just like Pumpkin Pie! If you like that flavor, just take a scoop of it, add a little carmel sauce and some pecans and you've got an awesome "Great Pumpkin" sundae.
- Recipe -
● 5 egg yolks
● 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
● 2 cups whole or 2% milk
● 1 cup pumpkin puree
● 1/2 t. cinnamon
● 1/2 t. ginger
● 1/2 t. nutmeg
1. Put milk in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. (This takes about 12-13 minutes.)
2. While the milk is heating, whip yolks & sugar in mixer for 2 minutes. Dribble hot milk into eggs, a few tablespoons at a time, keeping the mixer going constantly.
3. Once milk is in the eggs, turn heat down to medium-low and pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until edges begin to bubble and mixture is thick like heavy cream; about 12 minutes. Stir constantly so eggs don't begin to scramble. (If using an instant read thermometer, it will reach about 170 degrees.)
4. Remove from heat and pour through a strainer. Allow to cool to luke warm (about 30 minutes) then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2-3 hours.
5. When you're ready to freeze the ice cream, stir pumpkin & spices into custard and freeze in an ice cream maker. (This takes about 20 minutes.) Remove ice cream from bowl and place in freezer container to harden-off.
Download pdf recipe for: Pumpkin Ice Cream