Start celebrating Fall by making a batch of Cinnamon Ice Cream with Spiced Apples!
● 2 cups 2% milk
● 5 egg yolks
● 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
● 2 t. vanilla
● 1/4 cup heavy cream
● 1-1/2 t. cinnamon
● 1 T. butter
● 4 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and sliced
● 1/2 cup sugar
● 1/2 cup brown sugar
● 1 t. cinnamon
● 1/4 t. nutmeg
● zest of 1 small lemon
1. Put milk in saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. (This takes about 12-13 minutes.)
2. While the milk is heating, whip yolks & sugar in mixer for 2 minutes. Dribble hot milk into eggs, a few tablespoons at a time, keeping the mixer going constantly.
3. Once milk is in the eggs, turn heat down to medium-low and pour mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until edges begin to bubble and mixture is thick like heavy cream; about 12 minutes. Use an instant read thermometer, to bring mixture to 170˚F. Stir constantly so eggs don't begin to scramble.
4. Remove from heat and pour through a strainer. Allow to cool to luke warm (about 30 minutes) then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2-3 hours.
5. When you're ready to freeze the ice cream, stir heavy cream, vanilla and cinnamon into custard and freeze in an ice cream maker. (This takes about 20 minutes.) Remove ice cream from bowl and place in freezer container to harden- off.
For Spiced Apples:
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples and remaining ingredients. Sauté 15 minutes, just until apples are tender. Keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
Download pdf recipe for: Cinnamon Ice Cream with Spiced Apples