Here's a little taste of Louisiana you can make anywhere, anytime!
- Recipe -
● 2 T. butter
● 1 T. olive oil
● 2 onions, medium dice
● 3 cloves garlic, minced
● 4 stalks of celery, medium dice
● 1 green bell pepper, medium dice
● 3-4 sprigs thyme (or 1/4 t. dry)
● 1 bay leaf
● 1 t. tomato paste
● 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
● 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
● 1 cup diced ham
● 8 cups chicken broth
● 2 cups sliced okra (fresh or frozen)
● 3 c. diced canned tomatoes, undrained
● 2 cups corn (fresh or frozen)
● 1 t. Worcestershire sauce
● salt and pepper
● Tabasco Sauce (red or green)
● 2 cups c. cooked rice
1. Melt butter & olive oil in medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, celery, & bell pepper.
2. Add thyme, bay leaf, tomato paste, & cayenne pepper. Let cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add chicken and ham and cook another 5 minutes or so, until chicken begins to cook and turn opaque. Then add broth, okra, tomatoes and corn. Put the lid on the pan, turn the heat up to high and bring the soup to a boil. (This takes about 7-8 minutes.) Then reduce the heat to low and cook for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, or so.
4. Add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt, pepper and Tabasco sauce. (Make sure to taste the soup so that it has just the right amount of seasoning for you.)
5. When you're ready to serve, spoon some rice into a bowl, then top with the soup.
Download pdf recipe for: Chicken Gumbo Soup