This hearty soup is perfect on a cold night. It's loaded with veggies, chicken, tomatoes & red wine and then is topped off with basil, arugula & Parmesan cheese!
- Recipe -
● 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
● salt and pepper
● 1/4 t. crushed red pepper ﬂakes
● 3 T. olive oil
● 1 lb. red potatoes, cut into medium-size pieces
● 4 ribs celery, chopped
● 1 red bell pepper, chopped
● 1 onion, sliced
● 2 boxes (20 oz. each) brown mushrooms, cut in halves
● 4 cloves garlic, minced
● 1/2 cup dry Italian red wine
● 15- ounce can diced tomatoes
● 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
● 4 cups chicken stock
● 1 sprig fresh rosemary, ﬁnely chopped
● basil, thinly sliced
● arugula leaves, torn in half
● shaved Parmesan cheese
1. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season it with salt, pepper and red pepper ﬂakes. Cook all sides of the chicken until well browned. (You can cut up the veggies while the chicken is browning.) Remove the browned chicken to a plate and set aside.
2. To the empty soup pot, add the potatoes, celery, onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Continue cooking the veggies for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the red wine, diced & crushed tomatoes, chicken stock and rosemary. Cut up the chicken and add to the pot, as well. Season again with salt & pepper. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, place a lid on top and let simmer for 45 minutes to 1-1/2 hours.
4. To serve: Ladle soup into bowls and top with basil, arugula and Parmesan cheese.
Download pdf recipe for: Hearty Italian Chicken Soup