Fresh veggies, tender beef and wholesome barley make a delicious and hearty soup!
- Recipe -
● 2-3 T. olive oil
● 2 lb. stewing beef, cut into 1-1/2" pieces
● 2 onion, chopped
● 8 carrots, peeled & sliced
● 8 ribs celery, sliced
● 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. sliced mushrooms
● 1/4 cup tomato paste
● 2 t. ground thyme
● 4 cups beef broth
● 10 cups water
● 2 bay leaf
● 2 cup pearl barley
1. Place olive oil in a large soup pot, on medium-high heat, Brown the meat, for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook until the veggies soften, about 10 minutes.
3. Add the mushrooms and cook until they start to lightly brown, about 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomato paste and thyme. Mix in well and cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Add broth, water and bay leaf. Bring to a boil on high heat.
6. Add pearl barley. Then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until meat is tender and barley is cooked through. (1 hour). This soup can continue to simmer on low for a few hours, or until ready to serve. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Note: The barley will continue to absorb the liquid, so if you refrigerate or freeze any leftovers of this soup, feel free to add some additional beef broth to the soup.
Download pdf recipe for: Mushroom Barley Soup