This soup is wonderfully brothy and loaded with lots of fresh herbs and veggies!
1 whole chicken, cleaned and rinsed well
1 T. salt
1 bunch fresh dill
1 bunch parsley
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 bunch celery
1 large onion
2 lbs. carrots
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1. Place the chicken into a large pot with the breast side down. Cover with cold water and add salt. Bring to boil over high heat. Skim off foam.
2. Add the parsley, dill and garlic. Also add the bottom of the celery (the heart), the leaves and 1/2 of the celery stalks (cut into large pieces), 1/2 of the carrots & 1/2 the onion & 1 parsnip (cut into large pieces). Add all of these to the soup pot, along with some black pepper. Stir, then place the heat on medium-low and let simmer for 2-1/2 hours.
3. After the broth has cooked, turn off the heat. Set up a large bowl (or container) with a strainer or colander sitting on top. Spoon the chicken and cooked vegetables out of the pot and place into the strainer. When you pull large pieces of the chicken out of the broth, place them on a separate plate to cool. Use a large measuring cup and begin transferring the broth out of the pot and pouring it through the strainer. Continue until there is nothing left in the large pot. Place the strained stock back into the pot and let it cool for about 30 minutes. The chicken should also be left to cool for 30 minutes.
4. In the meantime, prepare the rest of the vegetables. Peel and dice the carrots and parsnips, then chop the celery and onion. (All the veggies should be a medium size dice.)
5. Once the broth has cooled, use a large spoon to skim some of the fat off the top of the broth. You can also begin pulling the cooled chicken apart, collecting the meat you will use in the soup in a medium-size bowl. (The leftover chicken and cooked veggies & herbs can now be tossed out.)
6. Bring the broth back to a boil on the stove and then add the chopped vegetables and cooked chicken meat. Cook for 30 minutes more. Add the egg noodles and cook for 10 more minutes.
7. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, then serve.
Download pdf recipe for: Chicken Noodle Soup