A hearty soup made with tender white beans and vegetables and then topped with a delicious spinach, parsley and garlic pistou!
● 2 cups dry navy beans
● 4 slices bacon
● 1 onion, chopped
● 3 stalks celery, chopped
● 10 cups chicken broth
● 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
● 1/4 cup parsley, minced
● salt and pepper (to taste)
● 1/2 cup spinach (if frozen, defrost)
● 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
● 2 cloves garlic, minced
● 2 T. olive oil
● 2 t. lemon juice
1. Quick-soak the beans: Place beans in large saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.
2. Make the soup: In a large pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned. Add the onions and celery and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth and beans.Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat, and simmer, with the lid ajar, for 30 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, minced parsley, salt and pepper and continue to simmer, with the lid ajar, until beans are tender -- about 1 hour.
4. Make the Pistou: Place the spinach, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor (or blender) and process until smooth. Set aside.
5. When you're ready to serve the soup, make sure the beans are tender and add any additional salt. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a spoonful of pistou.
Download pdf recipe for: White Bean Soup with Spinach Pistou