This is a creamy polenta that's loaded with flavor and when you top it off with some mushrooms sauteed in wine, you've got the beginnings of an amazing dinner!
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup polenta (coarse grained yellow cornmeal)
- 1 t. salt
- 3 T. butter
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 T. butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 24 oz. mixed mushrooms, some sliced & some cut into chunks
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/4 cup Madeira wine (or a dry red wine of your choice)
1. In a large saucepan, bring the water and broth to boil. Slowly sprinkle in the polenta, making sure to whisk constantly.
2. Turn the heat down to low and stir for 2 minutes, then add the salt. Cover with a lid and set the timer for 40 minutes. Every 10 minutes, stir the pot for 1 full minute, then place the lid back on. After 40 minutes, take the lid off and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes.
3. Stir the butter and Parmesan cheese into the polenta. Taste to see if more salt is needed. Turn off the heat, but leave the pan on the stove and cover with a lid. The polenta will stay soft for about 20 minutes.
4. In a large saute pan, melt the olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook for about 2 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper. Add the wine and cook until the wine is evaporated, another 5-7 minutes.
6. Pour the polenta on a large platter or divide into individual servings. Top with mushrooms and bits of fresh parsley.
Download pdf recipe for: Polenta with Mushrooms