This wonderful cheese souffle can be made from ingredients in your pantry and there's no need to be intimidated by it... it will be delicious no matter how high it rises!
- Recipe -
● 1 T. butter (for buttering pan)
● 2-3 T. grated Parmesan cheese (for dusting pan)
● 5 T. butter
● 3 T. flour
● 1 cup milk
● salt & pepper
● 1 sprig thyme
● 4 eggs, separated
● 1 cup grated cheese (Gruyere, Parmesan, combination or 4 oz. blue cheese or goat cheese)
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
1. Butter souffle or baking dish with butter. Dust with grated Parmesan cheese.
2. In saucepan over medium heat melt 5 T. butter until foamy. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Then add milk, a bit at time, making sure to whisk constantly. Season with salt, pepper and thyme leaves.
3. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally until smooth and thickened.
4. Turn heat down to low and whisk in egg yolks, one at a time. Then add the cheese. Taste and season with salt. (If you want, you can make this base up to a day in advance and place in the refrigerator.) Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Whip egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the saucepan to lighten the base. Then very gently fold in the rest of the whites.
6. Pour into the prepared dish. Lower the heat to 375˚F and bake for 30 minutes. The souffle should be puffy and golden. Don't worry if it's not puffed up to the top...it will still taste wonderful!
Download pdf recipe for: Cheese Souffle