The peaches are plentiful, so take a few and bake them into a delicious dessert!
- Recipe -
4 ripe but ﬁrm peaches, halved and pitted, with the peel still on
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup crumbled amaretti cookies
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for buttering the pan
1/4 t. almond extract
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup Vin Santo
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Cut 3 of the peaches in half. Using a melon baller, hollow some of the center out. (Save the peach you remove into a medium size bowl.) Arrange the peach halves face up in a buttered shallow baking dish.
2. Take the 4th peach and cut it into medium-size pieces and add to the bowl with the other bits of peach. Mash with a fork, then blend in sugar, crumbled cookies, butter, egg and almond extract. Mix well.
3. Fill peach halves with mixture.
4. In a measuring cup, mix water and Vin Santo together. Pour into pan. (Donʼt pour over the peaches, though.)
5. Place the pan into the oven and cook until the peaches are tender, but still hold their shape, about 25 minutes. If the peaches are very ripe, they will cook through faster; test them to be sure you don't overcook them, or they will become mushy.
6. When the peaches are done, remove them with a slotted spoon to a platter. Then pour what ever is left in the baking dish into a small pan over high heat. Stir constantly until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2-3 minutes.
When you're ready to serve, spoon a peach into a bowl or plate and drizzle with the sauce.