Share this episode!Tweet
When winter greens like chard and kale are plentiful at the Farmers' Market, get a big bunch and bring them home! Braising the greens in tomatoes makes them tender and so delicious.
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 large bunch chard, kale or other greens
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pinch red pepper flakes
- salt, to taste
- 1 (28 ounce) can, whole peeled tomatoes (organic, if possible)
1. Wash greens and trim the ends of the stems. Chop into large pieces. Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 1 minute.
3. Add the greens and stir well. Add the tomatoes, including the juice. Then with a large spoon, break up the tomatoes a bit. Add a big pinch of salt and stir. Cover, turn the heat down to medium and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
Note: These greens are great served with crusty bread, over pasta or rice and as a side dish.
Download pdf recipe for: Braised Greens