Farm fresh broccoli and mushrooms paired with spinach fettuccine and a fantastic, low fat sauce make for a delicious vegetarian dish!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. dried basil
- 2 cups non-fat sour cream
- 2 medium stalks broccoli, broken into florets & stems cut into pieces
- 12 oz. spinach fettuccine or egg noodles, cooked
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seed kernels
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and saute the onions and mushrooms for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off the heat.
- To the pan, add the lemon juice, salt, basil and sour cream. Mix well. Then add the broccoli, noodles, and 1/2 of the Cheddar and Jack cheese. Mix well, making sure that the noodles are completely coated in the sauce.
- Place in a large casserole dish. Sprinkle the rest of the cheeses on top, then the sunflower seeds. Place cover on top and bake in a pre-heated 350 ̊F. oven for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, take the lid off the dish and let the kugel brown in the oven for another 5-10 minutes.
Download pdf recipe for: Broccoli Mushroom Kugel