This traditional Irish dish makes great use of some of the winter vegetables found at the Farmers' Market!
- Recipe -
● 1-1/2 lb. potatoes, cut into quarters
● 4 cups chopped kale or green cabbage
● 4 T. butter
● 2 green onions, thinly sliced
● 1/2 cup milk
● Salt and pepper, to taste
● 1 T. butter, to finish
1. Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Take out of pan and place in colander, saving the water in the pan.
2. Blanch kale or cabbage in the boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and place back into measuring cup or other small bowl. Dump the rest of the water into the sink.
3. Place 4 T. butter in empty pan, over medium-high heat. Add green onions and kale and saute for about 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Add potatoes and half of the milk. Mash with potato masher, then add the rest of the milk and some salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, mound the colcannon on a dish, then make a well in the center. Place 1 T. of butter in the well.
Download pdf recipe for: Colcannon