You can make a delicious risotto any time of year! In this episode, Cindy makes a fabulous Butternut Squash Risotto.
- Recipe -
● 2 T. butter
● 1 lb. vegetable of your choice (in this episode Cindy used Butternut Squash), peeled or seeded, as needed and cut into small pieces
● 1 small onion, finely diced
● 1 clove garlic, minced
● Coarse salt and ground pepper
● 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
● 1/2 cup dry white wine
● 5 cups chicken broth, heated
● 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1. In a medium soup pan or large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add butternut squash, onion & garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Saute, stirring often, for about 6 to 8 minutes. (If using another type of vegetable, check the notes at the bottom as to when to add them to the pot.)
2. Add rice; stir to coat. Add wine; cook until almost all liquid has evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/2 cup hot broth (about 1 ladle-full). Cook & stir, until almost all liquid is absorbed. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding more. Continue cooking & stirring for a total of 40 minutes. Mixture will get very thick. Taste to make sure grains of rice are cooked through, but not mushy.
4. Stir in Parmesan cheese and taste for salt.
- Asparagus (Add to pot after rice has cooked for about 12 minutes.)
- Butternut Squash (Saute with the onion)
- Herbs (Add 1/4 cup chopped chives, parsley, basil, etc... last 3 minutes of cooking)
- Potato & Pancetta (Saute with the onion, along with 2 slices of chopped pancetta)
- Mushroom (Saute with the onion. You can also use a combination of types of mushrooms )
- Pumpkin (Add 1 cup pumpkin puree during last 5 minutes of cooking)
- Use Gorgonzola cheese instead of Parmesan
- Peas (Add 1 cup when you add cheese)
- Leek (Saute 1 leek with the onion)
- Artichoke (Add 1 cup chopped artichoke hearts when you saute onion)
- Fennel (Saute with the onion)
- Corn (Add 1 cup when you add the rice)
- Tomato (Add 1/2 pound the last 5 minutes of cooking)
- Red Bell Pepper (Saute with the onion)
Download pdf recipe for: Risotto