This light & healthy gratin can use any vegetable you find at the Farmers' Market....no matter what season!
- Recipe -
● 1 to 1/1/2 lbs. vegetables, (see note below)
● 1 T. butter
● 1 T. olive oil
● 1 small onion, ﬁnely diced
● 2 garlic cloves, minced
● 2 t. ﬂour
● 1/2 cup milk
● 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
● fresh nutmeg
Fresh Bread Crumbs:
● 2-3 slices bread
● pinch of salt
● 1 T. melted butter
● 1 T. butter
● 2 T. Parmesan of Gruyere cheese, grated
1. In large saute pan, steam vegetables in about 2 inches of water until tender, but still crunchy (about 3-4 minutes). Drain and set aside.
2. In the empty saute pan, melt 1 T. butter and 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion & garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add cooked vegetables and salt. Stir well. Sprinkle in ﬂour and stir well, then add milk and nutmeg. Cook 3 minutes, on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Stir in cheese. Take pan off heat. Season with salt to taste.
3. Make fresh breadcrumbs: Pulse bread in food processor until you have crumbs. Place into small bowl and toss with salt & 1 T. melted butter. Set aside.
4. Butter a shallow baking or gratin dish and spread the vegetable mixture out evenly in the dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top, then dot with 1T. butter. Sprinkle on grated cheese. Bake at 350˚F. until golden & bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Ideas for Vegetables you can use:
-Winter Greens (chard, kale, spinach)
-Spinach (after steaming, squeeze out any excess moisture)
-Brussels Sprouts (these may need to steam for 5 minutes to become tender)
-Squash (summer & winter)
OR use a combination of vegetables!
Download pdf recipe for: Vegetable Gratin