Share this episode!Tweet
When all you have is some apples and bread on hand, do what folks in Colonial America did; make an Apple Brown Betty! This dessert has amazing apple flavor and is not as sweet as a crisp or a crumble.
- 3 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 8 cups apples, peeled and sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice or water
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 8 or 9" square pan with baking spray. Set aside.
1. In a bowl, toss the bread crumbs with melted butter. Spread 1/3 of them in baking dish.
2. In large bowl, toss together the apples, lemon zest and lemon juice. Then mix in the cinnamon and nutmeg; then the brown sugar.
3. Spread half of the apple mixture over the crumbs in the baking dish. Sprinkle another 1/3 of the bread crumbs on top of the apples. Top with the rest of the apples. Drizzle the apple juice on top, then sprinkle on the rest of the bread crumbs.
4. Cover the pan with a piece of foil. Bake for 20 minutes with the foil on. Then remove the foil and bake, until the top is golden and the apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Download pdf recipe for: Apple Brown Betty