Share this episode!Tweet
Early Spring at the Farmers' Market means lots of fresh asparagus! This tart is quick and easy to put together and the flavor is amazing.
● 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, defrosted according package
● 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk
● 1/4 cup heavy cream
● salt & pepper
● 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
● 12 asparagus spears
● 1/2 cup drained, roasted red bell pepper strips
Preheat the oven to 425 ̊F.
1. On a floured board, roll the puff pastry out until it is big enough to fit your 12" tart pan. Carefully transfer the pastry the tart pan Use your thumb to press the pastry into the fluted edges and then to clear the edges of the pastry away. Holding the pan by the sides, place on a rimmed baking sheet and put in the refrigerator.
2. In a medium size bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, heavy cream, salt, pepper.
3. Get the pastry out of the refrigerator and trim the asparagus to about 5". (This is so you can make a clock-like pattern in the shell.)
4. Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the bottom of the pastry, then pour the egg mixture on top. Place the asparagus in a pattern on top of the cheese and egg mixture, then place the red pepper strips in between the asparagus.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown. Remove from baking sheet and place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
6. Place the tart on top of a can and carefully loosen the outer ring, using a knife to loosen any pastry that is baked to the sides. The ring should easily fall away.
7. Place the tart on a platter that has a small napkin in the center. (This will help it not slide when moved.)
Download pdf recipe for: Asparagus Tart