Creamy chicken and vegetable stew topped with puff pastry! Perfect on a cool autumn night.
- 4 T. butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup red potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups chicken meat, cut into pieces
- 2 T. parsley, minced
- 1-1/2 t. thyme, minced
- cornstarch slurry (3 T. cornstarch + 3 T. water)
- puff pastry (defrosted if frozen)
- Egg wash ( 1 egg + 1 t. water)
- kosher salt
1. In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add onion, celery and carrots and saute for 10 minutes.
2. Add wine to the pan and use wooden spoon to deglaze pan, scraping all the brown bits of the bottom of the pan and mixing them into the mixture.
3. Add the peas, mushrooms and potatoes and the chicken broth. Bring to boil over high heat.
4. Add the heavy cream, garlic and shallots, along with the parsley and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
5. Stir in the chicken meat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add the cornstarch slurry, turn the heat back up to medium-high and bring to boil, stirring occasionally until the mixture is thickened.
7. Ladle the chicken mixture into a large ovenproof dish or individual ramekins that are placed on a rimmed baking sheet. Place the puff pastry on top of the chicken mixture.
8. Lightly brush the top of the puff pastry with egg wash, then sprinkle with kosher salt. 9. Bake in preheated 400 ̊F. until pastry is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Download pdf recipe for: Tavern Chicken Pot Pie