Looking for some delicious comfort food for a get-together? This hearty beef stew uses lean beef and lots of great fresh vegetables!
- Recipe -
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- 2 lbs. lean stew beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups beef broth
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 turnips, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 heaping teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 T. cold water
1. Heat oil in large soup pot over med-high heat. Add meat and begin browning. Once meat loses it's color, season with salt and pepper.
2. Add onion, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and broth. Raise temperature to high, cover with lid and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower temperature to medium-low, put lid back on, but leave ajar and let meat simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
3. Add the rest of the vegetables, raise temperature to high, then once the stew comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-25 minutes longer.
4. The last step is to thicken the stew with the cornstarch slurry. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and cold water, making sure the cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add to the stew, making sure it is at a low boil and stir for about 5 minutes. If you would like the stew to be a bit thicker, make another bowl full of slurry and stir it into the stew.
5. Before serving, taste the stew and add additional salt and pepper, to your taste.
Download pdf recipe for: Old Fashioned Beef Stew