Share this episode!Tweet
Bring a little of New Orleans to wherever in the world you live! This sandwich is a NOLA classic....perfect for parties & picnics, too.
- Recipe -
● 1-1/2 cups pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
● 1/2 cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
● 1 cup Gardiniera (Pickled Cauliflower, carrots, celery)
● 2 T. capers
● 3 cloves garlic cloves, minced
● 1 T. parsley, finely chopped
● 1 T. fresh oregano chopped or 2 t. dried
● 1 T. fresh basil, chopped or 2 t. dried
● 1 T. green onion, thinly sliced
● 1/2 t. Crushed red pepper flakes
● 3 T. red wine vinegar
● pepper to taste
● 1/4 cup olive oil
● 1 large round bread
● sliced salami
● sliced ham
● sliced provolone
For the Olive Salad:
1. In a medium bowl, mix together both types of olives, the Gardiniera, capers, garlic, herbs, green onion, red pepper flakes, vinegar, olive oil, & pepper. Set aside.
2. Slice the bread in half horizontally, and remove enough of the doughy insides to make room for the fillings. Spread some of the olive salad and its oil on the bottom and top pieces of bread. Alternately layer the bottom bread with the provolone, ham & salami. Add more olive salad and repeat the cheese and meat layers. Add the rest of the olive salad and a final layer of provolone. Place the top on and press down.
3. Wrap in foil. (The sandwich can then be refrigerated or immediately heated. If you do refrigerate it for a few hours, make sure to take the chill off of it by letting it sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before placing in the oven.)
4. Preheat oven to 350 ̊ F. and heat on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, or until heated through. Unwrap the foil and slice into wedges.
Download pdf recipe for: New Orleans Muffuletta