This easy and delicious menu will be a hit with your family and friends!
- 3 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/2 cup carrots, grated or chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1. Fry bacon in large stockpot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Add onion and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, bay leaf, and thyme; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Stir in lentils, salt, and pepper to taste; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until vegetables are softened about 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Uncover, increase heat to high, add wine and chicken broth; bring to boil, then cover partially, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes; discard bay leaf. Serve.
Garlic Parmesan Popovers
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup minus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 large garlic clove
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Generously spray six 2/3-cup popover tins with cooking spray.
2. In a bowl (or large 4 cup measuring cup) whisk together eggs, milk, and water. Add flour and whisk mixture until combined well, but still slightly lumpy.
3. Mince garlic and mash with salt. Whisk garlic paste into batter and divide half of batter among tins. Sprinkle some Parmesan over batter in tins and then top with remaining batter.
4. Bake in lower third of oven 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees for 15 minutes more. No peeking!
Makes 6 large popovers.