Pita bread is easy to make and so delicious! (You may never go back to buying it at the grocery store, again!)
- Recipe -
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 2 t. (or 1 package) yeast
- 1 T. sugar
- 2 t. salt
- 1 cup hot water (100-110 ̊F)
- 2 T. olive oil
- 16 pieces pieces of foil (in 7"-8" squares)
1. Combine 1 cup of flour, the yeast, sugar and salt in large bowl or mixing bowl. Mix for 30 seconds until combined.
2. Add the water and olive oil. Stir with wooden spoon (or use dough hook) until ingredients are mixed together. Then add the rest of the flour (about 1-1/2 cups), but only in 1/2 cup amounts.
3. Place the dough on a floured surface and knead for 6 minutes (or let the dough hook continue to knead for 6 minutes) until smooth and elastic.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a floured board. sprinkle with flour and lightly knead until smooth. Using a knife or bench scraper, divide the dough into 8 equal-size pieces. Roll the pieces of dough into balls and place on a floured piece of parchment and cover with a towel. Let the dough rest for 20 minutes. While the dough is resting, preheat oven to 500 ̊F.
5. On a floured board, flatten out the balls of dough with the palm of your hand. Then use a rolling pin to roll into 6" circles, about 3/16" thick. (Remember to stop rolling about 1/4" from the edge of the dough.) Place each circle of dough on a piece of foil.
6. Use a board or large spatula and slide 2-3 circles of dough into the hot oven. (You'll be place the foil right on the oven shelf.)Close the door immediately and bake for 6 minutes, until the bread puffs up and begins to brown.
7. Remove each pita from the oven and place another piece of foil on top, folding the edges together. Continue to bake the additional circles of dough the same way.
These pitas are great served warm, or you can cool them down, wrap them in plastic and place in the freezer. If you do freeze them, you will want to defrost the breads (still wrapped in plastic). When you're ready to serve, unwrap the pitas, stack as many as you'd like together, and wrap in foil. Heat them in a 375 ̊F. oven for 12-15 minutes.
Download pdf recipe for: Pita Bread