● 2-1/4 t. (1/4-ounce) envelope rapid-rise yeast
● 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
● 3-1/2 cups bread flour ●
2 T. sugar
● 1-1/2 t. salt
● 3 T. olive oil
● 1 egg + 1 t. water
● sesame seeds, poppy seeds, shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 200°.
1. Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a 1-cup liquid measuring cup; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
2. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a heavy-duty mixing bowl. Add yeast mixture and oil. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Remove paddle, put on dough hook and let dough knead on medium speed for 5 minutes.
3. Divide dough into 16 equal portions. Roll each piece of dough into a 7- inch rope, then tie into a simple knot. Place on 2 parchment lined baking sheets.
4. Turn oven off and place baking sheets in oven, and let rise 15 to 20 minutes or until doubled in bulk. Remove from oven.
5. Turn oven up to 400°F. While oven is preheating, mix egg and water together to make egg wash and brush gently all over rolls. (For rustic rolls, skip this step.) Then sprinkle seeds or cheese on each knot. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden.
Download pdf recipe for: Bread Knots