Use fresh pineapple to make these scrumptious little cakes!
- Recipe -
Caramel / Pineapple Topping:
● 1 medium fresh pineapple, cut into small dice (about 4 cups of prepared fruit)
● 1 c. packed brown sugar
● 3 T.butter(plus 2 T. extra for buttering pans)
● 1/2 t.vanilla
● 3/4 c. brown sugar
● 1/4 c. soft butter
● 1 egg
● 1 t. vanilla
● 1-1/4 c. ﬂour
● 1-1/2 t. baking powder
● 1/4 t. salt
● 1/2 c. pineapple juice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter 12 mufﬁn tins using 2 T. melted butter.
1. For the pineapple topping: Combine pineapple and brown sugar in 10-inch skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Remove pineapple from pan by using a slotted spoon and set the fruit aside. Place the pan with the juices back on the heat and stir constantly for 4-5 minutes, until the sauce gets very thick. Then take the pan off the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla. Once the butter is melted and well mixed into the caramel, spoon the mixture into the buttered cupcake wells. Spoon the pineapple (not any of the juices!) on top and then set the pan aside while you make the cake.
2. For the cake: Mix the brown sugar and butter together to make a grainy paste. Then add the egg and vanilla.
3. Combine ﬂour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Then, with the mixer on, add 1/3 of the ﬂour to the butter/sugar mixture, then 1/2 the pineapple juice, then 1/3 of the ﬂour, then the rest of the pineapple juice and then the rest of the ﬂour. Mix until just combined.
4. Scoop the batter into the cupcake wells, on top of the pineapple. Bake 20 minutes, until toothpick is clean.
5. Cool on a rack for 2 minutes. During that time, run a blunt knife or spatula around the edges of each cake.
6. To turn the cakes upside-down, place a piece of parchment paper over the top of the cupcake pan. Then place a large cookie sheet on top, upside down. Using your oven mitts, ﬂip everything over, in one turn. Remove the rack and use a knife to help lift up an edge of the cupcake cake pan. Then remove the pan as the cupcakes fall upside-down on to the parchment.
Download pdf recipe for: Fresh Pineapple Upside-Down Cake