Cindy uses fresh strawberries in the cake and the juice of the berries in the frosting to make these wonderfully delicious cupcakes!
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 T. sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 t. baking powder
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half
- 4 oz. cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 t. vanilla
- 3 T. juice from drained berries
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 drop red food coloring, if needed
- 12 whole strawberries, rinsed and patted dry
Preheat oven to 350 ̊F. Line cupcake pan with paper liners. Spritz tops with baking spray.
1. In a small bowl, mix the sliced strawberries and 2 T. sugar together. Take a fork and mash the berries. Set aside.
2. In bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Add butter and sugar to large mixing bowl and cream together for 3 minutes. Scrape down bowl and beat 30 seconds more.
4. Add the egg, egg yolks, vanilla and milk. Beat until all the ingredients are combined. 5. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
6. With a stainer over a small bowl, drain the strawberries. Make sure to save the liquid for the frosting. Turn the mixer on for a few seconds and mix the berries into the cake batter.
7. Divide batter into baking cups. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cakes sit in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove with a fork to a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
8. Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, make the frosting by combining the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and reserved juice from the strawberries into a mixing bowl. Beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes.) If you're using a standing mixer, use the whisk attachment.
9. With the mixer on a low speed, at the powdered sugar, a bit at a time. Turn speed up and beat until fluffy. If the coloring is a little too light, add a drop of food coloring. Mix well.
10. If it is a warm day, place the frosting in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, to firm up. Then frost or pipe the cupcakes and add a whole strawberry on top for garnish.
Note: Because of the cream cheese in the frosting, these cupcakes need to be stored in the refrigerator.
Download pdf recipe for: Strawberry Cupcakes