Share this episode!Tweet
Black-bottom pie is a blast from my past! A rich chocolate bottom layer and a delicious rum filling. I've taken that winning combo and turned it into a cheesecake. (The cupcake size is strictly portion control!)
- Recipe -
● 3/4 cup chocolate cookie crumbs (about 10 Oreos)
● 3 T. butter, melted
● 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate
● 8 oz. cream cheese
● 1/2 cup sugar
● 2 eggs
● 1/2 cup heavy cream
● 1/8 t. salt
● 1 t. vanilla
● 1 T. dark rum (or 1 t. rum extract)
Whipped Cream Topping:
● 1 cup heavy cream
● 3 T. sugar
● 1 t. vanilla
● chocolate shavings
Preheat oven to 300 ̊F. Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
1. Crush cookies in the food processor or with a rolling pin. Place crumbs in a small bowl and stir in melted butter. Mix until crumbs are moist, like wet sand. Divide crumbs into the cupcake wells. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup and press crumbs down to make a crust.
2. Place the semi-sweet chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave in 30 second bursts, until chocolate is smooth. Divide the chocolate evenly among the wells, placing a spoonful of melted chocolate on top of each crust. Set pan aside.
1. In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light & fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and beat at low speed until very smooth. Make sure to scrape the bowl down so that cream cheese gets totally mixed in.
2. Mix in the heavy cream, salt, vanilla and rum until just combined.
4. Using a small measuring cup, divide the the filling into each of the wells, filling each cup about 3/4 full. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cupcakes cool in pan on cooling rack for 1 hour. Once they are at room temperature, cover the pan with plastic wrap and place cupcakes in the refrigerator until cold, about 2 hours. When you're ready to serve, use an off-set spatula to lift the cupcakes out of the pan.
WHIPPED CREAM TOPPING:
1. Beat the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
READY TO SERVE:
1. Place the star tip into a disposable piping bag. Fill with whipped cream.
2. Take one of the chilled cupcakes and remove the paper liner. Place on a plate.
3. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the cupcakes, then sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
Note: If you want to make these cupcakes in advance, wrap each of the cold cupcakes in plastic and place in a zip bag into the freezer. When youʼre ready to serve, take the cupcakes out of the freezer, take off the plastic wrap and peel the paper liner off. You can let them defrost in the refrigerator and when youʼre ready to serve, add the whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Download pdf recipe for: Black-Bottom Cheesecake Cupcakes