If you enjoy Chocolate Truffles, you'll love this cupcake!
- Recipe -
- 4 oz. (3/4 cup) semisweet chocolate
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
Chocolate Truffle Frosting:
- 4 oz. (3/4 cup) semi-sweet chocolate
- 6 T. butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2-1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- bar of semi-sweet chocolate for shavings
Preheat oven to 325 ̊F. Line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- Stir together the 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, milk and butter in a saucepan over low heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat, and let mixture cool while you're getting the rest of the batter together.
- In a large measuring cup or mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually whisk in the melted chocolate mixture (just a tablespoon or so at a time) until blended and smooth.
- Add the flour, sugar baking soda and salt and whisk into chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Pour into cupcake cups, filling only half full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the cupcakes from the pan and let them sit on rack until totally cool. (Note: Once muffin pan is cool, line with another 12 paper liners and fill half full with batter. Bake and cool as before.)
- Make the Chocolate Truffle Frosting by placing the 4 oz. semisweet chocolate and 6 tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on 30 second burst, stirring every 30 seconds just until melted and smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of heavy cream. Whisk in the sifted powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time. After you add the last 1/2 cup, add 1 T. or so of the heavy cream, whisking well. (The frosting should be thick.)
- Spread 1-2 T. of the Chocolate Truffle frosting over the top of each cupcake. Place the frosted cupcakes on a rimmed baking sheet that has been lined with wax paper or parchment. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the bar of semi-sweet chocolate over the top of each cupcake, creating lots of chocolate shavings!
These cupcakes need to be refrigerated, to once the shavings are in place, pop them into the refrigerator. Once the truffle frosting is solid, you can wrap them individually, if you'd like, and store them either in the refrigerator or freezer.
Download pdf recipe for: Chocolate Truffle Cupcakes