Unbelievable is the only word to describe these cupcakes. The cake is moist and light and the Swiss Meringue....unbelievable!
- Recipe -
● 1/2 cup butter, cut into cubes
● 1 cup sugar
● 1/2 t. vanilla
● 1/2 t. almond extract
● 1 egg
● 1-1/4 cup cake flour
● 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
● 1 t. baking soda
● 1/4 t. salt
● 1 cup + 2 T. buttermilk
● 1-1/4 cup sugar
● 1/3 cup water
● 3 egg whites
● 1/4 t. cream of tartar
● 1 t. vanilla
● 1/4 t. almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners
1. Beat the sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extract in a bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Then beat in egg.
2. Mix cake flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add 1/2 the flour mixture and 1/2 the buttermilk into mixing bowl. Turn on low speed, then add the rest of the flour and buttermilk. Beat on medium speed, just until combined.
3. Scoop batter into cupcake wells and bake for 20 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. Let cupcakes cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
For Swiss Meringue:
1. Place sugar, water, egg whites, cream of tartar and vanilla & almond extracts in medium-size heat-proof bowl. Beat with a hand mixer, on high speed, for about 1 minute.
2. Place the bowl on top of a saucepan filled with about 2" of simmering water. Make sure the bowl isn't sitting in the water! Beat on high speed for about 7 minutes.
3. Remove the bowl of meringue from the stove and set on the counter. Beat for another minute with the mixer to cool the meringue down, then frost the already cooled cupcakes!
Download pdf recipe for: Chocolate Cupcakes with Swiss Meringue