Join me as I put together an Irish Tea for a friend that is coming for tea!
- Recipes -
Corned Beef Tea Sandwiches
- dark rye bread
- thinly sliced corned beef
- light mayonnaise
- spicy brown mustard
1. Trim edges oﬀ bread. (You should end up with long rectangular pieces of bread.
2. Make a mixture of mayo and mustard. Spread on bread.
3. Place slices of corned beef on half of the bread slices. Fold the meat so that it stays within the edges of the bread. Place the tops on the sandwiches.
4. Cut each rectangular sandwich into 2 squares.
Open-faced Irish Cheddar and Apple Tea Sandwiches
- sheepherder’s bread, potato bread or buttermilk bread
- Irish Cheddar cheese
1. Trim edges oﬀ bread. Then cut bread so you end up with ﬁnger-size pieces of bread.
2. Slice the cheddar cheese and the apple. (The slices should be about the size of the pieces of bread.)
3. Place slices of apple on the bread. Then top with a slice of cheddar cheese.
4. Broil until the cheese is just melted. (2-3 minutes.)
Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups ﬂour
- 1 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 c. chopped dried fruit (I use apricots, cherries & raisins)
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 t. baking soda
- For egg wash:
- 1 egg
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Mix ﬂour, sugar, salt and baking powder in bowl. Cut in butter to make pea-size crumbs. Stir in dried fruit.
2. Combine buttermilk, 1 egg and baking soda. Stir into ﬂour mixture until moist.
3. Divide dough into 2 or 3 equal portions and turn out onto a parchment lined sheet.
4. Using ﬂoured hands, pat into rounds. Use a knife to make an X on the tops. Brush tops with an egg wash (1 egg mixed with 1 t. water).
5. Bake until golden brown. (40 minutes for 2 loaves) (25 minutes for 3 smaller loaves)
6. Cut into wedges and serve with softened butter.
- foiled-wrapped chocolate shamrocks
- divinity “Irish Potato”
- Irish Breakfast Tea