Tea and Crumpets.... Could there be anything more English? These griddlecakes are so moist, so delicious and so easy to make!
- 3-1/2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 t. (1 pkg) yeast
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. sugar
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 cup milk (110 ̊F.)
- 1 cup water (110 ̊F.)
- 2 T. butter, melted
- canola /vegetable oil for greasing pan & rings
1. In mixing bowl add flour, yeast, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Then add milk, water and butter. Mix on a low speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in warm place (or in your microwave with 1 cup hot water) for about 45 minutes.
3. Heat a large saute pan or skillet to medium heat (about 325 ̊F.). Use a paper towel and lightly coat with oil. Use the same paper towel to lightly grease the insides of 8 crumpet rings. Place the rings on the griddle to heat for 2 minutes.
4. Use a large cookie scoop and fill each ring about 1/2 full with dough. Cook until the tops turn from shiny to dry (about 7-8 minutes). Use tongs to remove rings. Then flip over and cook for another few minutes, so that it is cooked throughout and the bottom is lightly browned. Remove from pan to cool on a wire rack.
5. Use a serrated knife to split the crumpets and serve.
Note: If you like the "soft top" crumpets, use less dough in the rings and don't flip. That way only one side will be browned.
Download pdf recipe for: Crumpets