This lemon curd is thick & creamy, has an incredible lemon flavor and the perfect balance between sweet & tart. It's excellent on scones, as a filling for tarts, or even on poundcake. Truth be told, it's awesome just with a spoon, too!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup + 2 T. sugar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 T. lemon zest (about 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 T. butter
1. Whisk the water, sugar and cornstarch together in a saucepan. Set aside.
2. Get the rest of the ingredients ready to go. Mix the lemon zest and lemon juice together in a measuring cup.
3. Take the saucepan with the water and cornstarch mixture over to the stove and place on medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, whisking frequently as it thickens.
4. When mixture starts to boil and begins to turn translucent, whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, the zest and lemon juice, and then the butter.
5. Bring the mixture to a brisk simmer, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and immediately pour the curd through a strainer into a bowl. Use a spatula to press the curd through the strainer. Let the curd sit on the counter until lukewarm, about 30 minutes. Then cover and refrigerate until chilled through.
Note: Lemon curd is great on scones, in a tart shell, on pound cake or angel food cake.
Download pdf recipe for: Lemon Curd