Making these scones is easy because they're made in the mixer! Fresh orange and delicious dried black currants make for a scone that goes perfectly with a cup of Black Currant tea.
- Recipe -
● 2 cups flour
● 1/3 cup sugar
● 1 t. baking powder
● 1 t. baking soda
● 1/8 t. salt ●
1/2 cup butter, cut into small cubes
● 1 orange, zested
● 3/4 cups dried black currants
● 1/2 cup buttermilk
● 1 egg
● buttermilk & sugar for tops
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment.
1. In bowl of mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and orange zest and beat until butter is broken down to the size of peas. Carefully beat in currants.
2. In a bowl or measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to the flour mixture, beating just until the dough comes together.
3. Lightly flour the parchment sheet and place scone dough in the center. Using floured hands, press dough out into a circle, about 1/2" thick. Use a large knife to create 8 triangles. Don't separate the scones. Use a bit of buttermilk to brush the scone tops, then sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
4. Bake scones for about 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Remove parchment from baking sheet. Follow the lines on the scones to separate.
Download pdf recipe for: Orange Black Currant Scones