Little sponge cakes filled with strawberry jam and whipped cream...delicious for Afternoon Tea!
- Recipe -
1/2 c. cake ﬂour
1/4 c. ﬂour
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. table salt
3 T. milk
2 T. unsalted butter
1 t. vanilla extract
12 T. granulated sugar (divided into two 6T. portions
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 t. vanilla
2 T. sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line muﬃn pans with cupcake liners.
1. Whisk ﬂours, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Heat milk and butter in a small glass measuring cup in the micro wave. Use 10 second bursts until the butter melts. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
2. Separate 3 eggs, putting the whites in a bowl and the yolks in another bowl. Place the whites in the mixer with the whisk attachment and beat on high speed until foamy. Slowly add 6 T. of the sugar & continue to beat whites to soft, moist peaks. Transfer the egg whites to a large bowl.
3. To the egg yolks bowl, add 2 whole eggs. Place the yolk/whole egg mixture to the mixing bowl. Beat yolk/whole egg mixture with remaining 6 T. sugar. Beat on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, until the eggs are very thick and a pale yellow color. Add the beaten eggs to the egg whites bowl.
4. Sprinkle ﬂour mixture over beaten eggs and whites; fold very gently 12 times with a large rubber spatula. Make a well in one side of batter and pour milk mixture into bowl. Continue folding until batter shows no ﬂour and whites and milk is mixed in.
5. Scoop the batter into the cupcake pans. Bake 12 minutes.
6. Immediately run a knife around the cups to loosen the cupcakes. Remove the cupcakes and let them cool on a rack.
7. In mixer, whip cream with 2T. sugar and 1/2 t. vanilla until cream is stiﬀened.
8. When ready to serve, unwrap the cakes and split in half, using a serrated knife.
9. Spoon some jam on the bottom half of the cake, then spoon some whipped cream.
Place top of cake back on top.
10. To garnish cakes, top with a spoonful of jam and a dollop of whipped cream.
Refrigerate until you’re ready to serve them.
Download pdf recipe for: Victoria Sponge Cakes with Strawberry Jam